Friday, April 25, 2008

My babies can read!



Yep. It's true. I taught two of my most recent babies to read using the book, How to Teach Your Baby to Read by Glenn Doman. You can be sure that with eight other children in the house, I didn't spend much time on it. That's because it doesn't take long sessions - just a minute or two a day!

My 8th born was born with down syndrome. In my research to find ways to help her i came across the Doman method for teaching reading. he claims that not only does it teach them to read but also multiplies their intelligence. His method is based on joyfulness and love and absolutely no pressure. He stresses that you should ***always*** stop before they want to stop. That way it is always fun for them! I figured what did we have to lose? We started the program with her and within just a few weeks she was reading some of the words we'd covered. She loved, loved, loved the program, too!

With her younger sister, we started the program when she was just 3 months old. It was too cute to see her little arms and legs flailing in excited anticipation when i would get out her word cards! Now she is 5yo and reading at about the fifth or sixth grade level.

I've been so impressed with this method that I've given seminars on how to do it and established a yahoo group for those who want some support. Come have a look! www.groups.yahoo.com/group/teachyourbabytoread/

Here's a video of 13MO reading. It's obvious how she enjoys it. Note that her father is not pressuring her at all.

I love this video because of the little 17MO accent!

Understand that what you see on these videos is way longer than the reading sessions I did with my children. We only did 5-20 words at one time.

It is my firm belief that most babies could easily learn to read if their parents taught them.


Momoften

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

such a blessing. so amazing! and thank you for sharing!