Saturday, June 7, 2008

Meet "The Egg"!

Popoften here again.

I like to save money on cars. I really like to get good used cars for less than $1000.

The nice thing is, it really is not all that hard to do.

Here is another one of my cars, a 1996 Ford Taurus station wagon we call "the egg". The reason we use that name is because we couldn't figure out what color it was at first. It is very dark, but it is not black. It is similar to the color of an eggplant, so we thus call it "the Egg".

I was attracted to this car and its $800.00 price tag when I saw it pop up on craigslist last year. The car did have 150,000 miles on it, and I try to buy cars with 130,000 miles or less, but the owner supplied me with every single receipt from every single service he got done on the car, including the receipt for the purchase of the car when it was brand new. I spent more time reviewing these service receipts than I did inspecting the car, although I did inspect the car very carefully. The maintenance history documented that the car had been well cared for.

Cosmetically, it's a bit scuffed up here and there, but I don't care about that. The car checked out mechanically. As a bonus, it had a nice sound system, so I pulled the trigger and forked over the $800.00.

The car has worked out nicely. The only reconditioning I had to do was replace the plug wires, which ran me about $85.00.

It just keeps going and going.

Egg-cellent!

No comments: