Sunday, August 24, 2008

I love Harris Teeter! Who'd've thunk it?

Being the frugal sort that I am I can count on my two hands how many times I've purposed to go to a high-end grocery store to buy something in the last fifteen years. Harris Teeter certainly fills that bill with it's beautiful displays, extremely helpful and friendly staff, and high prices. But now that I've begun couponing it is one of my favorite places to go. That's because I can get a lot of really great deals there. Of course, the only time I do visit is when I can get really, really good deals.

This past week was one of those times. Here's what I purchased:

4 jars Jif Peanut butter
4 Zone Perfect Bars
4 G.U.M Toothbrushes

= $17.56 Total Value

Total out of pocket only $4.24!

I purchased the same items for three children of mine as well. I plan to sell the toothbrushes so my out-of-pocket will be even less.

Harris Teeter does two things that make it an ideal store for couponers. 1) They double coupons up to $0.99 every day. And occasionally, they have triple coupon promotions. In this case, I had coupons for every item I purchased. The Jif was $2.00/jar - a pretty good deal in itself. But I also had a $0.55 off 1 coupons. Since they double coupons that made each jar $0.90. The Zone Perfect Bars were $1.39. I used $0.55 off 1 coupons for these as well making those $0.29. Not a super deal (I like to get them free) but my husband eats these at work to keep from eating out and spending oodles of money. The toothbrushes I also used a coupon on. And this is where Harris Teeter's other ideal policy for couponers comes into play.

Harris Teeter will double (or triple) coupons up to their regular retail price even if they are on sale. This can mean free money for you! It did for me. The toothbrushes were on sale for $1 each. Regular price for these was $2.xx. I had $0.75 off 1 coupons. The coupons doubled to $1.50 off even though the price of the toothbrushes was only $1.00. That meant I had $0.50 overage to apply to the purchase of other things. This is what makes couponers everywhere laugh out loud!!

No comments: